One of my favorite people (who I have never met) is James Altucher. James is a serial entrepreneur and investor who has had big wins and plenty of failures throughout his career. I like his somewhat kooky approach to life. I’m somewhat kooky too, so he appeals to me that way. He’s a big fan of comedy, I am too. He writes from the heart, I do too. He’s had some dark days in his life, moi aussi.
James’ blog is prolific and his podcasts are always enjoyable. I enjoy listening to his amateur sounding interviews with his stellar guests and amazing questions. You can tell he listens intently and truly gets excited by his guests. I don’t mean amateur in a negative way. I mean that he comes across sincere, with a voice unlike professional broadcasters. That’s what podcasting is all about.
James has written several amazing books, but the one that has impressed me the most is Choose Yourself. The following are ten takeaways that stuck with me from the book. Consider each point for your own life.
10 Takeaways From Choose Yourself
1. Every second, you have to choose yourself to succeed.
2. Rejection - and the fear of rejection - is the biggest impediment we face to choosing ourselves.
3. Only think about the people you enjoy. Only read the books you enjoy, that make you happy to be human. Only go to the events that actually make you laugh or fall in love. Only deal with the people who love you back, who are winners and want you to win too.
4. The past and future don’t exist. They are memories and speculation, neither of which you have any control over.
5. What does purpose mean when we are dead? We might as well choose to be happy now.
7. All you have to do is stay in the present. When you catch yourself upset about the past or worried about the future, say to yourself, “Ah, I’m time traveling,” then STOP.
8. If you don’t promote yourself, nobody else will.
9. We only ever remember the things we are passionate about.
10. We never learn when we are talking. We only learn when we are listening.
Bonus: Pretend everyone was sent to this planet to teach you.
I recommend you pick up a copy of Choose Yourself today. Get started.
What book have you read this year that left you inspired? Leave a comment, I would love to learn more about the books that mean something to you.