I have been struggling with the social side of social media lately. Maybe you have too. I find I have been having less conversations with folks. I believe I'm partly to blame because I have been spending less time online. I have also been too self-promotional, and I haven't been listening enough. By listening, I am referring to reviewing conversations from my saved Twitter lists and search results, and the Facebook and LinkedIn groups I belong to.
My Selfless Promotion Challenge
This week I'm trying an experiment. I'm calling this my Selfless Promotion Challenge. I'm going to put the social back into social networking. Here's my plan.
- I've logged into my IFTTT and Buffer accounts to pause my scheduled, automated content.
- I have updated my Tweetdeck layout to only include Lists and Search Results (in addition to my replies and direct messages).
- I will NOT like or retweet any content without a comment of my own.
- I will NOT promote any of my own content or services. I will only promote other people.
- I will leave more comments on the blogs and groups I enjoy.
I was trying to think of ways I could measure the results of my experiment, but I concluded measurement is beyond the point. If I am truly being selfless, I shouldn't care about the results. All I hope is that the results are more conversations, re-connections with old friends, and I make some new ones.